Friday, December 29, 2006

100 things you didn't know...

I stumbled across this on slashdot yesterday and was so engrossed I thought I'd share it:

100 Things We Didn't Know Last Year


and here's a few of these goodies:

7. The Cowardly Lion Suit is made of real lion.

40. The medical name for the part of the brain associated with teenage sulking is "superior temporal sulcus".

68. The egg came first (I've always used this argument....)

86. Six million people use TV subtitles, despite having no hearing impairment. (And, since I've some lossage, I'm not really in this group, though I suspect a lot of these folks are in hearing impaired denial.)

and ...

100. In the 1960s, the CIA used to watch Mission Impossible to get ideas about spying..... (along with everyone else....)

and along these lines, I got a short little trivia book for Christmas: That's A Fact Jack! It's not the best trivia book ever but does have a few memorable items:
  1. Edison invented the tattoo gun.
  2. "The Whole Nine Yards", refers to unloading 27 feet of machine gun bullets on a target...
  3. Mr. Potato was the first TV commercial.\
  4. Little holes in leather shoes are not for ventilation, rather they are drains.... invented for wingtips used in boggy, soggy parts of the world.

No comments: